Monday, December 5, 2011

Touchdown in New Zealand

I arrived at Auckland International Airport about 7am Sunday morning (December 4) and quickly found myself in the bio-security check line, since I had brought used hiking equipment and boots into New Zealand.  The New Zealand government is very particular about the possibility of foreign “bad stuff” finding itself walking into the country on someone’s boots or hiking poles. But if you don’t declare that you have potential bio-security hazards, you can be fined $400 on the spot.  My boots were checked and I passed (I had washed them before packing them).

After exiting the International Terminal, I got a day room at the airport hotel (1 minute walk from the terminal), took a shower and quick nap – with Kelly due to arrive from Afghanistan within the next 6 hours.  At 2pm, I walked over to the terminal to await her clearing customs and baggage check. 



Apparently, in the mix of the crowd, I missed her exit and she exchanged US dollars, walked around a bit and then was asking for directions to the hotel when I finally spotted her.  It was so good to see her.

We got to the hotel where Kelly unpacked some, showered and freshened up.  We then checked out and caught the shuttle to the rental car location.  While we knew the cars were smaller than in the US, we were surprised at the one they gave us.


Sitting on the right side of the car to drive and driving on the left side of the road is a bit mind blowing.  Going straight was no problem…it is turning that you have to remember which lane to end up in.  A couple of time I turned into the wrong lane (right one in US) and Kelly had to remind me to “Get on the other side of the road!!”

We drive about 4 hours to National Park Village where we were staying for two night at Adventure Park Lodge & Motel.  Our room was grand and quaint with a separate bedroom and three beds, as well as kitchenette.  Lorraine, the owner, greeted us in wonderful, Kiwi friendly fashion – making us feel like old friends.  Then off to bed for the next day adventure in search of Frodo!

No comments:

Post a Comment